Heart problems can affect dogs of any size and age. Not only old dogs are affected, but the number of heart diseases in dogs is increasing ca. from the age of 6. Year of life. Heart diseases can be congenital or can appear in the course of years.
Heart valve disease (mitral valve endocardiosis) develops insidiously over a long period of time. Knotty thickening at the edges of the heart valves causes blood to back up in front of the heart. Heart muscle disease (dilated cardiomyopathy-DCM) usually affects large breeds of dogs. Can occur even in relatively young dogs. Symptoms usually appear suddenly. Deteriorate within a few weeks.
Symptoms of heart disease in dogs
– shortness of breath, increased breathing rate
– Restlessness (especially at night)
– Growth disorders associated with congenital heart disease
If the symptoms appear especially in younger dogs, a quick visit to the vet is strongly advised to prevent further progression of an evtl. To stop the disease as early as possible.
Nutrition for dogs with heart disease
Proper nutrition can help support your dog with heart disease. This is what you should look for in dog food:
– rich in vitamin E, z.B. cold pressed sunflower oil, wheat germ oil, hemp oil
– easily digestible and high-quality protein sources
– Reduction in the amount of protein in order not to burden the liver and kidneys (heart disease can lead to a reduction in blood flow to the organs)
– Omega-3 fatty acids, z.B. Salmon oil.
– selenium, potassium and vitamin B.
– Supplement taurine (but only with the agreement of the veterinarian)
– As a treat you should not feed sausage or cheese, because they are too salty.
– It is recommended to give the dog several small portions of food a day, so as not to put additional strain on the circulation.
Leiky feeding tip for dogs with heart disease
60-70 % Leiky wet food 30-40 % gentle food porridge 1 tsp – 1 tbsp (depending on the size of the dog) hemp oil 1 pinch – 1 tsp (depending on the size of the dog) Leiky wild herbs
60-70 % Leiky wet food 30-40 % natural food porridge 1 tsp – 1 tbsp (depending on the size of the dog) – salmon oil 1 pinch – 1 tsp (depending on the size of the dog) Leiky wild herbs
Leiky wet food is highly digestible and especially gently produced to preserve the valuable ingredients in the best possible way.
Leiky Schonkostbrei is a particularly easily digestible food supplement and rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B and potassium.
Leiky natural food mash contains easily digestible carbohydrates, valuable vegetables, potassium, vitamin E and other valuable vitamins and minerals.
Leiky wild herbs contain many natural vitamins and minerals, such as.B. potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, vitamin C, bitter substances.