The 7 best mattresses for children [Guide]The right mattress is crucial for children's health. Here are all the important criteria to choose from. The children's mattress test winners at a glance.
Children and babies in particular spend a large part of the day on a mattress. So it seems only logical that the Quality a baby or child mattress crucial for health and the well-being is.
Unfortunately the regular mattress tests of okotest or also Stiftung Warentest show that about half of the tested mattresses do not meet the quality criteria corresponding. Whether degree of hardness or pollutants: We have clearly summarized what is important when buying a children's mattress. Following a Test winner selection of 60×120 cm and 70×140 cm mattresses for babies and 90×200 cm mattresses for children.
Checklist for children's mattresses
– The Hardness level is a core topic in the mattress tests conducted by Stiftung Warentest or oKO-TESTand there with the "Bullet test" tested. Mattresses that are too soft are a (suffocation) hazard, especially for babies and small children, and can also impair the development of the spine. Rule of thumbFor children, the mattress should not sag more than 3-4 cm in the lying position; for babies, the head should not sink in more than 2-3 cm. A medium degree of hardness like H3 is normally optimal, under no circumstances should the mattress be too soft (H1/H2). – For the selection of Correct size of a children's mattress applies: The mattress must be at least Be 20 cm longer than the body size of the child (10 cm each at the top and bottom). The most common sizes in babies and toddlers are 60×120 cm large baby mattresses up to max. 100 cm body height (up to ca. 3 years) or. 70×140 cm Children's mattresses for children up to max. 120 cm in height (up to approx. 6 years). For children over 6 years can already be a 90×200 cm large mattress should be purchased. Harmful substances or optical brighteners have naturally lost nothing in a mattress. Only independent tests and certificates like z.B. the OEKO TEX 100 standard guarantee that no relevant harmful substances are contained. Note: After the purchase each mattress must be sufficiently ventilated so that (in principle harmless) organic compounds can evaporate. – Whether foam, latex, coconut or cold foam: With the material there are many "pros" and "cons. In the tests have been strikingly often Children's mattresses made of cold foam or foam enforced. They are breathable and convince by a good point elasticity, small after-swinging, a good heat insulation and generally good lying properties. An integrated step edge is important for a baby mattress – this gives the necessary stability and prevents slipping between the grid and mattress. Ventilation of the mattress. Prevents mold. The Mattress covers and wetness protection-Mats should be breathable – in the sense of a good moisture transport and a good sleeping climate. Rubber or plastic mats should not be used for this reason.
Safety note: After buying please check the mattress on Label residues check – and remove. These can be swallowed or in the worst case lead to suffocation.
TipTo the correctly selected child mattress also the suitable child bed belongs – a selection of the most popular child beds finds you here.
Test winner: children's mattresses
Test winner with tested quality Independent consumer organizations, test institutes, clubs and specialized magazines test products in standardized procedures according to objective criteria. We compare the results of Stiftung Warentest, oKO-TEST, ADAC, TuV, OEKO-TEX as well as other institutions and list the respective test winners in a compact table to give you an optimal overview.
Here is a selection of the test winners from Baby and child mattresses from Stiftung Warentest as well as oKO-Test:
ModelPriceDimensionsBody sizeTest verdict
Children's mattress 'Mariella Hygienica from 155,00 EUR70×140 cmbis ca. 120 cmTest winner with "good" (overall rating 2.1) by Stiftung Warentest 2021
Children's mattress 'Luna Cloud' by Pinolino126,9970×140 cmbis ca. 120 cm2. Space with "good" (overall mark 2,2) at Stiftung Warentest 2021
Baby mattress Dr. Lubbe Air Premium from Julius Zollner (order "retested version" only)!)129,99 EUR70×140 cmbis ca. 120 cm "very good" by oKO-TEST 2020 (September) Baby/children's mattress "Regenbogen Basic" from Traumelandab 85,98 EUR60×120 or 70×140 cmbis 100 or. 120 cm "very good" in oKO-TEST 2019/2020 Baby and children's bed mattress from Ravensberger from 129.90 EUR60×120 or 70×140 cmbis 100 or. 120 cm "very good" by oKO-TEST 2018 Baby and children's mattress Maja by Paradies 179,90 EUR 70×140 cm to 120 cm "very good" by oKO-TEST 2018
Children's mattresses with poor evaluation at Stiftung Warentest and oKOTEST
Here is a selection of children's mattresses that have received a poor assessment in recent years. All test results from Stiftung Warentest can be found on this page.
– "Max" by Alvi: downgraded in test category "safety" – was rated "insufficient" by oKO-TEST in April 2020, but after a rectification by the manufacturer in September 2020 improved to "very good. Therefore, when buying, please make sure that you buy an "improved model". – "Dr. Lubbe Air Plus" from Julius Zollner: downgraded in the "Safety" test category (lt. Provider product now changed) – "Dr. Lubbe Baby Dream Comfort" from Julius Zollner: downgrade in test category "safety" (lt. Provider product now changed) – "Sleeping Beauty" by MFO: downgraded in review category "safety" (sales stopped) – "Allergo Fleece" by Pinolino: downgraded in review category "safety" and "durability" (sales stopped) – "Slumber Star" by Traumeland: downgraded in review category "safety" – "Children's Mattress Coconut/Latex" by Waschbar: downgraded in review category "safety" (sales stopped)
Recommended mattresses for babies& Children
Which products are recommended by parents? The following selection takes into account five quality criteria: Testimonials, ratings, number of purchases, test marks& Seal of quality.
Here is an overview of mattresses for babies and children – sorted by age and mattress size.
Baby mattresses 60×120 cm (up to approx. 3 years)
Up to body height of 100 cm 60×120 cm baby mattresses are the optimal choice. This corresponds approximately to an age to 3-4 years. Ideally, the crib and mattress are selected separately to ensure high quality of both components.
"A Too soft mattress can be Sinking in of the small body can lead to too hard baby mattress can be Neck or back pain lead. The optimum firmness is therefore based on the Weight of the child and the factor that it should of course still be able to lie comfortably. It is also important that the mattress free of harmful substances is and a washable cover has."
– Comfortable hybrid mattress with 2 lying surfaces: This cold foam mattress has a smooth, soft baby side& a slightly firmer junior side – usable up to toddler age! – Softer mattress side includes vertical ventilation channels for optimal air circulation & good lying properties – ideal for babies up to 2 years old – for toddlers from 2 years old: the more stable side adapts perfectly to the body by means of the mini-foam cubes and is also surrounded by a step edge – for more support when sitting up – optimal sleeping climate: the high-quality quilted climate wadding cover is breathable and contains aloe vera – removable thanks to the zipper& washable at up to 60 °C – scope of delivery: toddler& Baby mattress OrthoMatra Junior-Duo from Betten-ABC / mattress with surrounding step edge – suitable for allergy sufferers
– PERFECT SLEEP IN THE CHILD'S BED ✅: Premium baby and child mattress in 70 x 140 cm format – Filled with high-quality Calipore foam – Ventilated, removable foam lying surface -. – WITH WASHABLE PREMIUM COVER ✅: The high-quality Ravensberger cotton double cloth cover of the baby mattress is refined with aloe vera – It must not be ironed, bleached or dried in the dryer. – GOOD BODY ADAPTATION AND SUPPORT ✅: The foam mattress supports your child's body resp. babies evenly at all times, so that the spine is aligned straight in bed -. – POLLUTANT TESTED AND BREATHABLE ✅: Our baby crib mattress cover is tested and certified according to Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Class 1 (test number 04.0.7203, suitable for babies), beyond that. – SAFE KICKING EDGE WITH STRENGTHENED EDGE ✅: Kick-resistant edge design for the crib; especially older children taking their first steps in bed benefit from the safe kicking edge -.
Children's mattresses 70×140 cm (up to ca. 6 years)
These children's mattresses are up to a Body size of about 120 cm perfectly suitable.
– COVER: The soft allergy-suitable cover of the mattress 70×140 consists of a cuddly, air-permeable and skin-friendly "Baby-Soft" Cover quilted with a. WET PROTECTION: The baby wet protection provides better air – and moisture transport. Ensures together with the Paradies Dryfix fabric finishing a dry lying surface in the baby. – CORE: The baby and children's mattress core offers the highest comfort for the little ones in compliance with the EU safety standard DIN EN 16890 / EN 597-1, Continuous vertical ventilation channels provide for. – KICKING EDGE: The crib mattress protects the little feet with its circumferential kicking edge during the first standing attempts on its mattress in the nursery / baby's room – EASY TO WASH: The children's mattress cover is washable at 60°C and suitable for tumble-drying.
– PERFECT SLEEP IN THE CHILDREN'S BED ✅: Premium baby and children's mattress in 70 x 140 cm format – Filled with high-quality Calipore foam – Ventilated, removable foam lying surface -. – WITH WASHABLE PREMIUM COVER ✅: The high-quality Ravensberger cotton double cloth cover of the baby mattress is refined with aloe vera – It must not be ironed, bleached or dried in the dryer. – GOOD BODY ADAPTATION AND SUPPORT ✅: The foam mattress supports your child's body resp. babies evenly at all times, so that the spine is aligned straight in bed -. – POLLUTION TESTED AND BREATHABLE ✅: Our baby crib mattress cover is tested and certified according to Oeko-Tex Standard 100 class 1 (test number 04.0.7203, suitable for babies), moreover. – SAFE KICKING EDGE WITH STRENGTHENED EDGE ✅: Kick-resistant edge design for the crib; especially older children who take their first steps in bed benefit from the safe kicking edge -.
– Circumferential tread edge protects the little feet during the first attempts to stand on their mattress in the crib / baby bed – Both sides of the mattress made in Germany are suitable for toddlers and babies – Tested for harmful substances and suitable for allergy sufferers (removable and individually washable cover sides) – Continuous vertical and horizontal ventilation channels, breathable Vitex special foam and in addition a very well air-permeable cover with circumferential climate cushioning band Air-Active provide a. – "Baby-Soft" cover: cuddly, air-permeable and skin-friendly – with baby wetness protection and Paradies Dryfix fabric finishing – compared to a conventional fabric without Dryfix finishing.
– Cover: elastic cotton-polyester fabric, quilted with wash fleece – cover is removable, washable up to 60°C and suitable for gentle drying – point-elastic cold foam with vertical air channels – suitable for allergy sufferers – size: 70 x 140 cm
– Comfortable hybrid mattress with 2 lying surfaces: This cold foam mattress has a smooth, soft baby side& a slightly firmer junior side – usable up to toddler age! – Softer mattress side includes vertical ventilation channels for optimal air circulation& good lying properties – ideal for babies up to 2 years – For toddlers from 2 years: the more stable side adapts perfectly to the body by means of the mini foam cubes and is also surrounded by a step edge – for more support when sitting up – Healthy sleeping climate: the high-quality quilted climate wadding cover is breathable and contains aloe vera – can be removed thanks to the zipper& washable at up to 60 °C – scope of delivery: toddler& Baby mattress OrthoMatra Junior-Duo from Betten-ABC / mattress with surrounding step edge – suitable for allergy sufferers
Children's mattresses 90×200 cm (from approx. 7 years)
Mattresses in this size can already be used by children from approx. 7 years can be used. Important: Select the correct size when buying.
– high-quality Tencel composite, 32 % Lyocell (TENCEL) and 68 % polyester – cover removable, divisible, washable up to 60°C and suitable for tumble dryer – mattress core made of comfort-pads for best point elasticity and air permeability – especially for children and adolescents from 3-15 years – suitable for allergy sufferers and certified for harmful substances
– High quality children and youth mattress 90x200cm with high density of 35kg/m³, suitable up to 60kg, total height 17cm – Perfectly matched for the weight and the sensitive spine of children and adolescents – KS foam mattress design medium, BHT free& strictly pollutant controlled – cover divisible and washable up to 60° with special SaniNature KlimaFresh equipment – core and cover have Oeko-Tex 100 level 1 – suitable for babies and toddlers
– ☁️TESTSIEGER STIFTUNG WARENTEST: Not only our customers are convinced. Our Emma One foam mattress was awarded the top score of "1.7" as the test winner (Tested by Stiftung. – ☁️7 ERGONOMIC ZONES: Thanks to 7 different zones and viscoelastic foam, your back receives ideal support& Relief in any lying position – ☁️ BREATHING ACTIVE MATERIAL: Open-pored Airgocell foam& the extra light mattress cover ensures effective regulation of temperature& humidity and thus a pleasant. – ☁️100 NIGHTS TRIAL: Test our Emma mattress up close& completely risk-free, because within the first 100 nights we pick up the mattress for free& refund you the purchase price – ☁️10 YEARS GUARANTEE: Your highest quality sleep is our mission. That's why we've designed our mattress core to be extra dimensionally stable to give you 10 years of soothing comfort.
Mattresses in the size of 120×200 cm
A mattress oversize for cribs, thus a Precursor to the 160×200 beds or. to the standard adult measurements.
– Orthopedic duo cold foam mattress with 7-zone wave-cut technology optimally adapts to your body contours and ensures a restful sleep – Breathable microfiber cover (100% polyester) high-quality quilted with 100g climate fiber. Climatic fiber ensures optimal moisture transport – Core: 7 zones cold foam core with duo hardness degree – Here everyone is always right. This mattress combines two degrees of hardness in one mattress. Hardness grade 2 (soft). Hardness grade 3(medium hard). The. – Due to a sewn-in 3-sided zipper, the cover is easily removable and washable at 60°C – Core height: approx.15 cm / total height: approx. 16 cm; textiles tested for harmful substances according to Oeko-Tex Standard 100
– OPTIMAL SLEEPING COMFORT – Orthopedic comfort foam mattress with open-pored core that optimally adapts to the contours of the body – HIGH QUALITY COVER – Breathable microfiber (100% polyester) high quality quilted with 200g/m² climate fiber, absorbs moisture optimally and ensures a dry sleeping climate – BREATHABLE CORE – Open-pored comfort foam core (100% polyurethane) is particularly breathable and air-permeable, thus enabling an optimal sleeping climate, core height: ca. 12 cm / total height. – EASY CARE – Due to a sewn-in zipper, the cover is easily removable and washable at 60°C – highly recommended for house dust allergy sufferers – SUSTAINABILITY – Traumnacht mattresses are tested according to Oeko-Tex Standard 100
– Point-elastic cold foam mattress with good prere relief and support. Lying zones provide lying and sleeping comfort – Breathable and point-elastic cold foam, 7-zone cut, reversible hardness grade H2&H3 (medium firm& firm) – Easy-care mattress cover made of microfiber, with zipper, durable and long-lasting, washable at up to 60 degrees – Free of harmful substances, Oeko-Tex certified, According to German quality standards, suitable for allergy sufferers, can also be used as a baby and children's mattress – Roll mattress: The mattress is delivered rolled and can be used 2h after unpacking
Mattresses in size 80×160 cm
A mattress intermediate size for cribs, thus a Precursor to the 80×180 beds or. to the standard adult measurements.
– This orthopedic mattress provides your child with comfortable sleep and excellent support for the head, neck, back, arms and legs, regardless of sleep style. – Care instructions: Mattress cover: Not machine washable, Do not bleach with chlorine, Do not iron, Do not chem. clean – Dimensions: 80x160x11cm / Material: Cover: 100% polyester Made in EU – 1 cm thick, removable quilted cover with zipper / Density: 23kg/m³ / Hardness: 4.2 kPa – Branded goods from the house: [new.house]
– 💖🏅 Practical crib mattress quality according to okotex 100 – Standard and TuV💖🏅 Made of terry cloth with a breathable Membran-Beschichtun, liquid-tight, bacteria and virus-proof, allergy-proof, wash-resistant💖 🏅 With zipper, 100 % anti-allergic, suitable for tumble-drying, made very thin with a special technique and thus maximally breathable, biocompatible, flame-resistant. – 💖🏅 Our mattresses are made of thick and soft terry fabric and with breathable coating which guarantees long-term use. – 💖🏅 Skin-friendly cover all around removable and washable up to 40°C. Made in EU!","Best For Kids crib mattress made of terry cloth, quality according to okotex 100 – Standard and TuV Quilted and.
Mattresses in size 80×180 cm
Another intermediate size, the rather rarely is asked for. A Fit mattress but is a must to prevent slipping – which is why a mattress of the appropriate size should also be used for 80×180 beds.
– High-quality 7-zone wave wellness reflex foam mattress with quilted climate fiber cover in size 80 x 180 cm in H3 – Soft elastic body support for the intervertebral discs and a regenerative sleep thanks to high-quality materials – Particularly compatible for house dust allergy sufferers, since the cover is removable and washable at 60°C – The mattress has a total height of ca. 16 cm and will be delivered to you rolled and well packed – STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX 13.0.23040 HOHENSTEIN HTTI tested free of harmful substances MSS quality Made in Germany
– High quality, orthopedic children's mattress with a total height of approx. 12 cm / Healthy sleeping climate – Skin-friendly cover with zipper, removable and washable up to 60 ° C – Sizes: 60×120 cm, 70×140 cm, 70×160 cm, 80×160 cm, 80×180 cm – Core of cold foam, cover of 100% polyester, 180 g / m² + incorporated climate wadding 300 g / m² – Harmful substance-tested quality according to STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX Product Class 1 (textiles and textile toys for babies) – certificate number 18.0.35519 Hohenstein HTTI
mattresses in the size 80×200 cm
The last preliminary stage to the adult size, Here, too medium degree of hardness (H3) is recommended – especially for children please do not use too soft mattress (H1/H2)
– High quality children and youth mattress 80x200cm with high density of 35kg/m³, suitable for up to 60kg, total height 17cm – Perfectly adapted to the weight and sensitive spine of children and adolescents – KS foam mattress design medium, BHT free& strictly pollutant controlled – cover divisible and washable up to 60° with special SaniNature KlimaFresh equipment – core and cover have Oeko-Tex 100 level 1 – suitable for babies and toddlers
– Orthopedic KSCell foam mattress 80x200cm in H2 medium, total height ca. 23 cm – firmness is recommended up to 80 kg or for all those who like to sleep a little softer – SchulterPLUS Zone, specially developed drop cut for relief of the shoulder – 3D-Klimaband SilverCare Border cover with intelligent silver threads, washable up to 60 °c, core and cover have OEKO-TEX Standard 100 level 1 – 30 days sleep – if you do not like: free collection and full refund of your payment (from DE& AT)
Best seller: children's mattress
We have the most popular children mattresses in a bestseller list prepared for you (the selection is updated daily).
What is bought most often? No recommendation is as credible as a verified purchase. That's why our crawlers search daily for the best-selling products on Amazon from each relevant category. We show the result in the bestseller lists.
Current offers for children mattresses
Here you will find the best available offers for children mattresses sorted by height of discounts (updated hourly).
We help you to save money! Every hour, our product crawler scours all available products on Amazon. The goods with reduced prices are filtered out. This selection is then algorithm-driven ordered by the amount of discounts. With it you miss guaranteed none of the (partly only briefly) available offers more.
Video of the children's mattress test
Frequently asked questions about children's mattresses
A children's mattress must be proven free of harmful substances be and may not too soft Be – especially with babies the danger of suffocation threatens. Cold foam mattresses are breathable. With good lying properties. oko-Test or Stiftung Warentest and also oKO TEX Standard 100 guarantee independent tests. Here is a selection of Baby mattresses for 0-3 years (60×120) and Children's mattresses from 4 years (70×140), including these high-quality models:
– Baby/child mattress "Mariella-Hygienica" of paradise: Test winner with "good" (mark 2.1) at Stiftung Warentest 2021. – Baby/child mattress "Rainbow Basic" from Traumeland: "very good" at oKO-TEST 2019. – Baby and children's mattress "Maja" from Paradies: test rating "very good" at oKO-TEST 2018. – Baby mattress "OrthoMatra Junior-Duo" from Betten ABC: Cold foam mattress 60×120 for babies and toddlers from 0-3 years, with step edge. Tested for harmful substances according to oko-Tex Standard 100. – Children's mattress HR cold foam mattress from Ravensberger: Cold foam mattress
70×140 for children from ca. 3-4 years. Oeko-Tex Standard 100 class 1.
– Emma One Mattress: Test winner 2019 by Stiftung Warentest, HRX foam mattress, 90×200
The Hardness level: mattresses that are too soft can be dangerous, especially for babies (risk of suffocation). Ideal is a
medium firmness, which allows children to sink in a maximum of 3-4 cm. Stiftung Warentest or okotest. The Oeko Tex 100 standard also provide safety (u.a.a. pollutants) when buying. For the selection of right size of a children's mattress applies: The mattress must be at least Be 20 cm longer than the body height of the child (10 cm each above and below). The most common size is 60×120 cm baby mattresses up to max. 100 cm body height (up to approx. 3 years) or. 70×140 cm children's mattresses for children up to max. 120 cm body height (up to approx. 6 years). For children over 6 years can already be a 90×200 cm large mattress to be purchased. Material: Children's mattresses made of breathable
cold foam or foam have proven themselves through good lying properties. Important: After purchase please test the mattress on Label residues check – and remove them. These can be swallowed or in the worst case lead to suffocation. Ventilation of the mattress. Prevents mold. The Mattress covers and wetness protection-Mats should be atmunsaktiv – in the sense of a good moisture transport and a good sleep climate. Rubber or plastic mats should not be used for this reason.
Conclusion: children and baby mattresses
The most important purchase criteria: Firmness level: not too soft (risk of suffocation); medium firmness level optimal. Size of the mattress: at least 20 cm longer than the body size; integrated step edge for baby mattress; pollutant and safety tests by independent institutes;
Recommended test winners: Children's mattress 'Mariella Hygienica :
Test winner with "good" (grade 2.1) at Stiftung Warentest 2021. Baby/child mattress "Rainbow Basic" from Traumeland with "very good" at oKO-TEST 2019. Baby and child mattress "Maja" from Paradies with "very good" at oKO-TEST 2018.
Children mattresses& Bedding
The best mattresses for children's beds [guide]
The best slatted frames for children's beds [Guide]
Note: Last update of the product links on 1.05.2022 / images from the Amazon Product Advertising API
WUNSCHKIND editorial team (Barbara, Tamara, Karin, Chris, Bernhard, Lisa, Carmen& Matthias)
WUNSCHKIND is one of the largest mommy communities in the German-speaking world and reaches over 2.6 million moms each month. In addition to sharing on all social media channels, moms will find on wunsch-kind.at high-quality checklists& Recommendations to over 30.000 articles about pregnancy, baby, toddler and children's room.