Children's sick payTo enable you to care for your child at home, the SBK pays you children's sick pay.
In the case of children's sick pay, you will receive 90% of your lost net pay from the SBK. So you can take care of your child in peace and quiet. Find out what the requirements are and what else there is to consider on this page.
When do I get children's sickness benefits from the SBK??
You get children's sick pay from SBK if,
– you are employed and do not receive pay from your employer, – your child is insured by law, – your child is younger than twelve or disabled and dependent on help, – there is no one in your household who can care for your child in your place, – you yourself are entitled to sick pay (for example, as an employee or as a self-employed person entitled to sick pay), and – you are caring for your child, your child is ill, or the daycare or. School closed.
Good to know: Your employer is generally required to give you time off during this time and continue to pay your salary. In this case we can not pay children's sickness benefit. If the employer does not pay a salary because, for example, a collective agreement regulates it this way, you will get sick pay from the SBK.
Trainee with child
If you are in vocational training and your child is ill, your employer lt. Vocational Training Act obligates you to continue paying your training allowance during this time. In this case, please contact your employer directly.
How long is children's sick pay available?
Each legally insured parent can claim 30 days of child sickness benefits per child in 2022, up to a maximum of 65 days in total for multiple children.
For single parents, the entitlement is increased to 60 days per child, with a maximum of 130 days for several children.
Under these conditions, you will receive children's sickness benefits:
– you and the other parent are insured by law and are entitled to sickness benefits themselves. Your child is younger than twelve years of age. Is also insured by law. – There is no one in your household who can take care of your child in your place.
Pandemic-related children's sick pay
For 2022, the entitlement to children's sick pay has been extended because of the Corona pandemic. This arrangement is valid until 23.09.2022.
You can receive pandemic-related children's sick pay if your child must be cared for at home for the following reasons:
– Compulsory attendance at school has been abolished. – The requirements for emergency care are not met. – The authorities recommend that you do not use the childcare services of the open childcare facilities if possible. – Company or school vacations have been arranged or extended. – The childcare facility has been closed by the competent authority. – You have been prohibited from entering the child care facility, z. B. If quarantine is ordered at home.
You can fill out the application for pandemic-related children's sick pay directly online – proof of the daycare center or school being closed due to the pandemic is not required. To do this, use the My SBK app or the web version at my.sbk.org/children's-sick-pay. This means that we receive your application immediately, you save yourself the post and can concentrate on looking after your child straight away. If you prefer to submit the request in writing, please contact your personal customer advisor.
Regular child sickness benefit in case of illness of the child
If care is required because your child is ill, please submit the certificate from the doctor as before. In this case, you can also fill out the application directly online – in the My SBK app or under my.sbk.org/children's-sick-pay. If you prefer to submit the application in writing, please contact your personal customer advisor.
How much is the child sickness benefit?
We will pay you 90% of your lost net pay. If you have received one-off payments from your employer in the last twelve months, such as vacation or Christmas bonuses, the children's sickness benefit is even 100%. There is a maximum limit for the child sickness benefit. It is 112,88 € (2022) per day.
To ensure that you do not suffer any disadvantages in terms of pension, unemployment and long-term care insurance, contributions are paid from the children's sickness allowance. You do not have to pay any health insurance contributions. Contributions are calculated from 80 % of your pay or income from work. Your share will be calculated from the amount of the children's sickness benefit. You pay at most half of the contributions. We will pay the rest.
You do not have to worry about anything. We deduct your contribution share directly from your children's health insurance benefit and transfer it together with SBK's share directly to the respective insurance carrier.
Is it possible to apply for sick leave by telephone even if your child is ill??
Yes, the provisions for telephone sick leave for children's cold symptoms are available nationwide.
Sick leave is granted for seven days at a time. A one-time extension can be ied by phone for an additional seven calendar days. Talk to your pediatrician beforehand. Inquire about the exact procedure in case of illness. Each practice has individual regulations.
My entitlement to child sickness benefit has already been used up. Can I transfer the other parent's days to me??
Yes. This is possible if the other parent cannot take care of the claim himself/herself for personal or professional reasons.
A transfer is possible if
– both parents have statutory health insurance, – both parents are entitled to sick pay, – one parent is unable to care for the child for work-related reasons, and – the other parent has already fully exhausted his or her entitlement.
Please talk to your employer, as he or she must agree to another leave of absence from work.
What else is there to consider?
– Often, an entitlement to time off work when a child is sick is regulated in collective bargaining agreements, and you simply receive automatic continued pay when your child is sick. Ask your employer for more details. – If both parents are insured by law, but with different health insurers, the health insurer of the caregiver pays the child sickness benefit. This is independent of which health insurance fund the child is covered by.
Children's sick pay – your SBK benefits:
– We will ask your employer directly for your income level – you do not need to worry about it. – If you accompany your child to hospital for inpatient treatment for medical reasons, the SBK will cover your loss of earnings instead of the children's sick pay.
Supplemental family insurance
Additional children's sickness benefit of 15 € per day you get with the family tariff of our partner ARAG
How to receive children's sick pay
You can fill out the application for the pandemic-related children's sick pay directly online – proof of the daycare center or school being closed due to the pandemic is not required. To do this, use the My SBK app or the web version at my.sbk.org. This way, we receive your application immediately, you save on postal routes and can focus on caring for your child right away.
If care is required because your child is ill, please submit the certificate from the doctor as before. In this case, you can also fill out the application directly online – in the My SBK app or at my.sbk.org.
Alternatively, please complete your information on the certificate you received from your doctor and send it by mail to: SBK, 80227 Munich, Germany. Payment to you is made immediately after we receive the documents from your employer.